The way we share content continues to evolve and people are always looking for new and innovative ways to present thoughts and ideas. While video has been around for a while, it hasn’t been extremely popular for SEO in the past. Previously, there was really no clear-cut way to optimize a video like you can for a blog post. However, in the past few years, more than 90 percent of marketers utilized video for content marketing. As a content medium, video can convey a lot more than words alone. It’s no coincidence that marketers have started worrying less about technical SEO and more about user-experience.
While creating video for marketing goals is all well and good, content is not worth much unless people see it. So how can you ensure that your video content is found?
This is where words still have their place, even in the realm of video marketing. Because the success of SEO relies so heavily on words, video transcripts can add valuable content and, therefore, further the video’s presence with search engines.
How Video Transcripts Boost SEO
Video transcription can give a little more detail than meta descriptions and video tags can. Because search engines crawl text, a transcript gives the search engines more to crawl, and also offers a better experience for the user. A video transcript is a natural way to fit keyword phrases in throughout a page – therefore, someone who is searching for exactly what the video provides will be able to find it. Transcripts are a great way to include many secondary and long-tail keyword phrases that are likely spoken throughout the narrative. Video adds a human element to the world of SEO and offer users a different kind of experience.
Statistics about Video Marketing
- 62% of Google universal searches include video. (Marketingland)
- Video is 50 times more likely to get organic page ranks in Google than plain text results. (Forrester Research)
- Video search results have a 41% higher click-through rate than plain text results. (aimClear)
- You can double your search traffic by having a video thumbnail in your search result. (IQ Visibility)
- People stay two minutes longer on your site if you have video. (ComScore)
- Posts with videos attract three times more inbound links than plain text posts. (Moz)
So while video marketing is a great, unique way to share new content, video transcription is needed to ensure that your videos are found. This only goes to show that while mixed media is a wonderful way to improve your marketing campaign, content still remains king.