While common phrases like “Think before you speak” may be embedded in our minds because that’s something our parents told us when we were younger, as we grow older, we tend to finally appreciate how powerful words can be.
Words are like hooks. They have the power to encourage or discourage, lift up or bring down. In the world of SEO, words are especially significant because they give brands a voice.
“How can I make my article stand out?”
“How can I get more readers to my blog?”
“How do I make my website more appealing?”
Those are common questions clients ask, and the answer is the same for each: create content that will not only grab the attention of your readers, but also elicit a response from them. Get your readers excited about the product or service and encourage them to act upon their excitement by buying the product or service. And, believe it or not, you don’t have to use big, fancy words to do this.
Below are five powerful (yet common) words you should use in your content to make it more attention-grabbing and motivate your readers to act:
- You – What better way to personalize the content and make it about your reader than using the word “you”? Not only are you talking to your readers, but remember that people are interested in fulfilling their own wants and needs; give it to them. They’ll love you for it.
- Because – You can write about a product or service all you want, but no one will act unless you tell them the reason why they should. Give your readers a justification to buy your product or service. Explain to them the benefits and personal advantages they can gain from it.
- Now – You don’t want your readers to act later – you want them to act now. Create urgency for your audience to act immediately. This will not only engage them in what you’re writing, but will more likely get them to buy something, since you’re less likely to have to rely on them remembering your services or product.
- Proven – This word is especially powerful when it comes to advertising a new product. Customers are weary of new products, and they want to know what others have said about the product first. By giving assurance that your product is something that has been tested and proven to work, you’re providing them with the peace of mind that it’s worth the investment. Also, keep in mind that in the online world many people test quality. Provide the facts to back up the benefits and advantages and give them the proven data for support.
- Easy – Who wants to do anything the hard way? Explain to them how easy it is to use the product or service. Tell them about how hassle-free it is to either use or have provided for them. People love anything that is simple and fast, whether it’s a do-it-yourself project or they have to rely on a professional for service.
Other useful tips to successfully integrate power words into your content:
-Place a power word in the title or headline
-Use them in the beginning of a sentence
-Don’t overdo it. While you want to encourage them to act, you also don’t want to sound like an advertisement.