Manager Monday: SEO Tips That Should End with, "April Fool's!"
Andrew Schetter, April 1, 2013
Happy April Fool's Day, everyone. I hope you are all enjoying playing pranks as much as I am. I mean, I have already sent the Google Nose BETA to my entire family. And the great thing about the annual Google prank is it doesn't hurt anyone, but still offers a good chuckle.
Unfortunately, the tricks of poor SEO information on the Internet aren't revealed to be a joke until they impact the bottom line of your business. Today, we will look at common misconceptions that have as much validity as a bad April Fool's Day ruse.
1. SEO Your Site and Forget it – "Set it and forget it" may be a great tagline for infomercials selling cooking equipment, but it's terrible SEO advice. Updating your site once can provide a nice little boost, but it's optimizing your site continually with fresh, relevant and informative content that will truly produce your results. If your "SEO expert" is preaching a one-step solution to your Internet marketing needs, they should scream, "April Fool's" at the end of their statement.
2. Google Doesn't Notice Link Building Strategies – With each new update, Google changes their algorithms to better "understand" the needs of their users. In other words, all SEO work should be done to enhance the experience of visitors on your website. Edgier tactics that we would consider "black hat SEO" will result in penalties that could cause your rankings to plummet.
3. All Links are Good Links – Thinking all links back to your site are created equal may be the biggest SEO joke of them all. As mentioned previously, after the Panda update, many sites that used "black hat" tactics were penalized by Google. Having links back to your website from one of these penalized sites is doing your website more harm than good. There are also link farms and many other sources of useless links. When you work with WebiMax, you will discover that our link building services only utilize links that are worth having, and the proof is in the positive results experienced by our customers.
4. Search Engines Love Keyword Density – Keyword density in your web content is a lot like the pitch count in baseball. Everyone has an opinion on the perfect number, but in the end, if the pitcher is getting outs or the user is getting the information they need, it's all good. Every page on your website should be sculpted to meet the needs of the end user. When this happens, your keywords will fit in naturally and your links will fall into place.
5. Rankings Are Paramount – This would make for a great April Fool's joke because it is so believable. After all, isn't rising up the search engines what it's all about? In actuality, conversions are what it's all about. The amount of traffic driven to your site is only as good as the people who are compelled to take actions. If a website isn't tailored to encourage sales, people will leave without any desire to return.
Keeping these things in mind and working with WebiMax to use proven organic Internet marketing strategies can have an incredible impact for your business, and as our testimonials show, that's no joke.